Sunday, July 11, 2010

Addition to our flock

Now that the roosters are gone, I felt free to go buy one more hen. We haven't quite decided on a name, but Betty and Lucy are right up there.
For those who care, she is a Black Copper Marans. For those who REALLY care, she comes from Wade Jean and Bev Davis lines. I know that currently Bev Davis has a TWO YEAR PLUS wait for her fertilized eggs. Black Copper Marans lay a chocolate brown egg. Betty/Lucy did not lay an egg for me this morning, but after the trauma of being moved, I didn't expect it.

She is a full grown hen, just over a year old. Even though I could have gotten some chicks and raised them in the smaller chicken tractor, I just didn't have the energy, so I opted to get a full grown hen. She seems to be acclimating well with the other girls.

Clover is still around, but she didn't feel like getting her photo taken with everyone else.

No comments: