Wednesday, November 17, 2010

a gut wrenching week

I've debated whether or not to post about this, since it involves someone else. I've also been too busy to sit down and write about it. I think that I'll tell you about why I've been so busy this week, but keep it down on the details to protect privacy.

Last Wednesday, I got a phone call from a friend, sobbing. Someone had turned her into the state for having a dirty house. DCFS investigated, and determined that she couldn't let her kids back into the house until it was cleaned up. I offered to let her have a couple of her kids stay with me and to help clean up. Unfortunately, that evening, CPS decided that it was in the childrens' best interest to be taken into state custody. I was there for the removal, and it was one of the saddest things I've ever witnessed. I don't envy anyone who was directly involved in the situation. Even now, I get a bit teary eyed thinking about it.

Since then, I've done what I could to help them out. I've worried a bit though. Sometimes I can insert myself deeper into someone's business than they feel comfortable. I don't like to think that I do that, but I know that it's been known to happen. I also can be too bossy and too blunt. I've worried that I would alienate friends by showing those characteristics in this particular crisis.

I was invited to, and attended, the family team meeting. I was not invited to court, so I didn't go. Given a facebook status post, I suspect she's angry that I didn't go. I've submitted to (and passed, Yippee!!) a background check to help the family.

I was approached today by the case worker. I may be supervising the daily visits between the mom and her youngest (still breastfeeding) baby. They also asked if I would be willing to have a couple of the kids stay with us, after getting licensed, of course. I told them I was willing, but concerned that we wouldn't qualify, since our house is pretty full. It sounds like I may not qualify to take more than one, and they want to keep the kids from being completely separated.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Wow, Wendy I really don't envy you right now. Not only does that sound hard on the family but also the people like you who care about them and want to help. I think that being blunt might be a good thing. You don't have time to beat around the bush if she needs to hear something that may help her. You are blunt but you are also loving about it as well, you say things that need to be said but you don't do it in a cruel or mean manner and that is what makes you a great friend.