Monday, April 18, 2011

S's Birthday Party



S was wild to have a birthday party with friends this year, so I decided to throw her one. I thought it would be more fun than the video game parties that M favors, or just 'hanging out' parties, like K wants.

We invited a couple friends from girl scouts, and a couple friends from school.

While we waited for everyone to arrive, I had the girls play outside. The chickens were a HUGE hit. When everyone who was going to get there, I let the girls each make a treasure box- I found these little wooden boxes at Dollar Tree, and bought some plastic jewels. I spray painted each box metallic gold ahead of time, and then let the girls glue the jewels on.
Here's a finished box that S made:


Then, I let the girls make their own homemade pizza. Earlier that day, I made the pizza dough, formed the crusts, then baked them, so that they would be finished quickly. I put out all of the toppings, and let the girls build their own pizza.

They asked to eat outside. Since that sounded a lot less messy, I was all over that. I had J take the girls outside while I finished things up inside. When I came outside, this is what I saw:

The girls would toss grass in to the chickens, then scream and squeal when the chickens ate it. They considered it to be dinner theater, I guess.
Then, we came inside and S opened her presents. She was thrilled with everything she got.

Last, I made a batch of buttercream frosting, and dyed it several different colors (the girls told me which colors to make). I put the frosting in a few decorating tubes, and let the girls decorate their cupcake.

Which brings me to the cupcakes. Ooooh, the cupcakes. If you know me at all, you know I am a SUCKER for anything crazy colored. I read about these rainbow cupcakes online, and just HAD to make them. I made a batch of vanilla cake batter. Divided it out, and then colored each section a different color- red, yellow, green, blue, and purple. I then put a spoonful
of each color in each cupcake paper. Baked as usual. Aren't they marvelous?!
After I posted this, K got mad because I didn't take a picture and post the treasure box that SHE made. So, here is her box. It really is lovely.

No comments: