Saturday, February 21, 2009

Car Accident

This morning, I got a phone call from my dad around 8:30am. Considering he's not much of a morning person, I knew this was not going to be a chatty phone call. I was right. My youngest sister, Melissa, had been involved in a serious car crash. She hit a parked semi trailer at an estimated 45 mph this morning around 6am. Melissa used to work for 911, and her boyfriend, Jared, still does. The 911 operators follow the calls they get a little, and so when they heard who it was in the crash, they called Jared, who then called my parents. At that time, nobody knew if she was even alive or not.

As my parents drove to the hospital, they got a phone call from a caseworker. Melissa was lucid enough to give her my dad's cell phone number.

She is in critical condition with two broken arms, a broken ankle, stitches on her knee and a lacerated liver. The internal bleeding from the liver seemed to be improving when I left the hospital at 6:30 pm, so that's an encouraging sign. Once she stabilizes, they will probably need to do surgery on her ankle, but they're not sure yet.

I know she doesn't feel like it now, but I think Melissa is extremely lucky. So many things could've been a lot worse. No other people were involved. If someone had been in the passenger seat, there is no way they could've survived the accident. None. She wasn't wearing her seat belt, and was ejected from the car. The police found her laying on the hood of her car. But aside from a tiny scrape on her cheek, and a small scrape on her eye, her face is perfect.


My other sister, Jillian, and I stopped by to look at the car. Looking at the car, it really was a miracle she's doing as well as she is.


Interestingly enough, it made the Deseret News. Link to article


Any prayers or positive thoughts you have to offer would be appreciated.

5 comments:

nykki and erik said...

She is in out prayers... She is so lucky.. let us know if you need help with your kids while you spend time with her.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! How awful! Your sister will be in my prayers.

Kristen said...

Oh crap Wendy! I just read this, I am so sorry you and her will both be in my prayers. I love you!!

Chardell said...

You must have so scared! Sorry it took me so long to check your blog and find this. I'm glad she's improving.

Burhan Khatri said...

Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. car insurance coverage for other drivers