Thursday, April 3, 2008

I have become one of "those" mothers

There are many categories of "those mothers". I realize that. I also accept that I am one of those mothers in other categories. But I realized today that I am in a new section.

I have been so good about going to the gym every morning after I drop the big kids off at school. On Wednesdays, I volunteer in the daycare so that my daycare is free. When I volunteer, I see a few kids with slightly boogery noses, but haven't really worried about it. I just wipe their noses and move on.

Z has had a cold for the last couple weeks, but seemed to be on the mend this week. This morning, he got up at 6:30am. I watched him carefully to see if he still had any remnants of the cold because he got kicked out of daycare on Mon or Tuesday because he was deemed "too sick" to be there. I felt like they were awfully picky, but whatever. So I wanted to be extra careful this morning. I did not have to wipe his nose from 6:30 am until we got to the gym at 9. When I went to get him out of his car seat, it was runny, so I wiped it and mentally groaned. I decided to hope it was a fluke, and took them in anyway. Sure enough, within a half hour of getting there, they brought him out and said he was too sick.

It is just so frustrating because he really doesn't seem sick to me, other than wiping his nose once an hour or so. Since I've wiped lots of noses when I volunteer, I figured that was in the realm of acceptable. Guess not. So, I only got to work my right side in the kickboxing class. I came home and worked on the elliptical for 20 minutes.

So, it seems he hides his runny nose until I get him there. It has made me doubt my ability to know when he is "too sick" because I honestly felt he was fine this morning.

I feel equal parts embarrassed, defensive, and ashamed. I really don't want to risk the health of others. But most websites I've read about guidelines for "too sick for daycare" say:

Keep your child home if he or she has the following symptoms:

  • Fever greater than or equal to 100.5 degrees F.
  • Moderate drainage (clear or discolored) from the mouth, nose, eyes, or ears.
  • Red discoloration to the whites of the eye(s).
  • Skin rashes as they are difficult to diagnose unless since by a physician.
  • Severe abdominal pain, vomiting or diarrhea.
I wouldn't consider Z to have "moderate" drainage. I'd say that it was mild.
I guess I'll skip going tomorrow and just do something at home, and then do home workouts this weekend. He's got to be completely better by Monday, right?!

I think in the future, if either of the kids have any symptoms of illness whatsoever, I just won't go. I hate to skip, but I hate even more having my kid kicked out. Luckily Z isn't old enough to get what's going on, but as they become more aware, it could be very embarrassing for them.

No comments: