Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fun with Fondant




My grandmother's birthday is the day before Halloween. This year, we had a big party to celebrate Halloween and her birthday. She wanted all of the kids to wear their costumes so she could see them all decked out.

I offered to bring dessert, and was really excited to finally try out fondant on a cake. I'd found a really easy recipe here to make fondant using marshmallows, powdered sugar and shortening, and was really intrigued. The recipe was really easy to make, and I had a lot of fun making a gruesome Halloween themed cake. I used a Betty Crocker Bake & Fill pan to make the hollow for the cherry pie filling to fit in.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That is an awesome cake. lol. How did your grandma like it? And how did the fondant taste?

Wendy said...

This fondant is made with marshmallows, powdered sugar and shortening, so it tasted like marshmallows. Not as good as buttercream, but pretty good.

My grandma was impressed with how it looked, but I had to serve it too soon after dinner for many people to eat any (most of us were due to go to a church halloween party an hour and a half after birthday party began). That was a disappointment to me. I did have a taste, and it was good.