Tuesday, August 21, 2007

MMMM homemade spaghetti


K has been begging me to make homemade pasta sauce with all of the tomatoes we've been growing in our garden. She picked a whole bunch of them and we made sauce yesterday. I showed her how to put the tomatoes in boiling water, then ice water to split the skins.

She then peeled the tomatoes while I chopped. I let her read the directions and then add all of the ingredients to give her a nice cooking lesson. We made a big vat of sauce, and then invited my BIL and his kids over for a delicious spaghetti dinner. I think it turned out very nicely. Here is the recipe we used:

Marinara Sauce
3 +/- onions, chopped finely
1/2 c. oil (I use olive)
12 c. chopped & peeled tomatoes
32 oz. can tomato SAUCE
12 oz. can tomato PASTE
3 tbl. oregano
2 tbl. basil
1 tbl. pepper
1 tbl. salt
6 tsp. sugar
2 tbl. garlic powder (or a few chopped cloves)
3 bay leaves

Brown onion in oil, add rest of ingredients. Let simmer for two hours.

I usually will let cool, then put in freezer bags in our family size, then freeze. When we want some, I'll take it out of the bag and cook in a saucepan til it's hot.

1 comment:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Mmmm....

Pardon me while I wipe up the puddle of drool on my keyboard tray.