Friday, October 29, 2010

What happens when you die, by S

This evening I was at my parents' house with my kids. We got talking about death. I'm not sure if it was because we have been going to a lot of halloween parties and seeing skeletons, or because my sister in law's dad just died. Anyway, S asked what happened when you die. I told her that you leave your body behind and go to heaven. She had this slightly confused look on her face, and then started to giggle.

My mom and I looked at each other, befuddled. We weren't sure what I'd said that was so funny. Then S said, "So your head floats up to heaven, and you leave your body behind without a head?!"

My mom and I couldn't help it. We collapsed into fits of laughter, understanding why S was so confused and amused by what I said. I tried to do the sock/foot hand/glove analogy and said that the head stayed with the body.

I think at this point, she must have remembered her Grandma Jorgensen's funeral, and said, "Oh, so your whole body goes in a box for people to look at and then they bury it, right?"

Yep. That's right.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I just pictured little heads floating up to heaven with strings tied to them like helium balloons and I giggled.