Thursday, January 7, 2010

My new dinner leaf

If you recall, I've decided to experiment more with the food I cook for dinner. I think that exposing the kids to many new dishes is a good thing, and will make them much more adventurous eaters than I've ever been. As a result, I've been trying out some new recipes.

Tonight's recipe was a pretty great success. M complained it had too many tomatoes, but everyone else seemed to like it.

I made Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. I made a couple changes. I didn't want to buy cilantro just for this recipe, so I skipped that. I also discovered I was out of bay leaves. Oopsie. Then again, I also discovered I was out of chicken. I put everything else in the pot, and then made myself go buy the chicken a couple hours later. I cubed it, grilled it, and then tossed it into the cooker a couple hours before serving. I also thought black beans would make a nice addition, so I tossed in a can of drained black beans. Instead of going through the process with the corn tortillas, I just crushed a couple chips on top of each bowl of soup.

No comments: