Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Snow Day

Actually, this is day TWO of snow days.

Yesterday, I had an appointment on the east side of the valley, right up by the mountains. I wasn't looking forward to it because it had been snowing fairly heavily for a long time. The roads were wretched.

Here's a picture I took while driving (Yes, I was being very, very careful).

That was actually on highway I-84. Terrible, huh? The other lane was just completely ice covered, so nobody was bothering to drive on it.

Utah snow is supposed to be different from the snow in other places because it's a lot "drier" than other snow. I had no idea this was the case until I started talking to people who live in other areas. They couldn't get over how powdery our snow was. I thought that's just the way it was.

I did notice that the snow we got in Japan was slushier, but didn't really think much about it.

During the last big snowstorm, M tried to build a snowman, but got really angry because the snow wouldn't stick together. It was like trying to roll dry sand into a ball.

If nothing else, I saw absolute proof we have extremely dry snow. I saw a guy clearing his walks of snow by using his.... wait for it.... LEAF BLOWER!!!! And it was working! I wouldn't think to make this up. I swear it's true.

2 comments:

nykki and erik said...

The couple who live behind us uses his Leaf blower too.. its was crazy the first time i saw it... however i used a my broom yesterday to do my porch and walk way it was way easier.
however i have SHOLVED three times today...

MaryG said...

My neighbour uses his leaf blower all the time. The only problem is that we live in Toronto and we have very wet, heavy snow. It takes him about an hour to clear his driveway. I (little weakling that I am) can shovel ours (same size) in less than 20 minutes.